14/04/2022 St Aidan's RSPB

Black-necked Grebe: I wouldn't usually post pictures of such a rare breeding bird  but these ones at St Aidan's RSPB nature reserve are world famous, accessible and  a very well known site for them, they are definitely Yorkshire's 'worts' kept secret. 
Recent reports suggest that there are upto 10 breeding pairs with less than 40 breeding pairs across the whole of the UK. 
With their bright crests of yellow flames bursting from their fire red eyes they are truly a special little bird. I counted 4 pairs during my short visit and also had my fisrt yellow wag of the year which was a nice bonus. 
Found towards the western reedbeds, most pairs were either elusive, keping to the reeds or out in the middle of the lakes and pools. 

But today, I got lucky and had a pair foraging in front of me for a brief period along a small canal which was easily viewable from the pathway.  

I really like St Aidan's, it's wonderful place and in spring is full songs and calls from booming bittern to squawking black-headed gulls and the song of willow warblers.