15/09/2024 Fairhaven Lake, Lytham Saint Annes, Lancs

Black Tern: I have recently purchased the 200-800 f9 canon lens and the canon R7 and I have been really keen to get out as much as I can and practice with it.

It's been a big learning curve thus far, with a heavier bigger lens and new controls on the camera it's taken a while to get to grips with the new kit. 

One of the things I wanted to practice with was fast moving birds, and boy, these back terns where defiantly a good subject to practice on. The pair were constantly on the move, whizzing through the air and foraging on the water and in all honestly I really struggled. The auto-focus wasn't capable of tracking the birds and the crop sensor made things more difficult at 800mm to track the birds.

These where the best I could manage with the time I had. Despite my frustrations it was great to spend the afternoon with these pair of back tern. They are great birds.