30/04/2021 Surrender Bridge, Swaledale

Red Grouse: I've spent the week working in North Yorkshire and before I left I stopped off for a few hours on the moors in the stunning Swaledale valley, not far from Surrender bridge. Where Ted cooper found a female type black redstart the evening before. 

I love it up here, there is something special about the wild and windswept North York Moors that I really enjoy. The open spaces and scenery surrounded by bird calls, what's not to like?




Three-quarters of all the world's heather moorland is found in Britain, and the North York moors is home to the largest expanse in England. I wanted to get one of those classic shots of a red grouse in the heather but I was a little early for the heather is its bloom which gives way to purple drifts.  
Red Grouse (female): The ridge-top roads climb up lush green valleys, lined with lichen laidend stone walls. Eventually opening up to the bleak open moors. And despite the unusually cold conditions, frost and even snow.
Ring Ouzel: Although I didnt see the black redstart, presumably a passing bird I was still surrounded by some nice birds It was nice to find a few ring ouzel amongst the heather, albeit at a distance. 
There were a couple of ring ouzel in this area with along with calling golden plover and honking greylag geese.

I managed some shot of the red grouse, in the reddish brown heather and even got myself a hen bird who in my opinion are much better looking than their male counterparts, with their mottled golden markings.  

This was an enjoyable hour or so before driving back home.