24/04/2021 Red Rocks, Wirral

Wheatear: My goal today was to see my fisrt spring whinchat. Well in the end it was a bit of a bust but, I did manage to get some good birding in along Red Rock and Frodsham Marsh before calling it a day. 





The stretch of beach at West Kirby is just 300 metres long and is always busy when the sun and the tide are out, and today was no different. The place was packed! I didn't mind the crows of beach goers and revillers out with their children. It's been such a hard year for so many people. 


However, it's the dog walkers I can't abide, willfully ignorant walking over the salt marsh wit their dogs running wild. No wonder I didn't see any whinchat it was like a scene from Crufts. 
Still, it was nice to be out in such good weather and I finished the day of Frodsham Marsh which is now full of the sounds of spring migrants such as grasshopper warbler, whitethroats and reed warblers. I was also treated to a male marsh harrier hanging over the reeds.