02/01/2021 Astley Moss

Barn Owl: Happy New Year everyone. 

I'm  often surprised by how many people view my umble birding blog, its something I really enjoy doing so thanks for checking it out. 
With Christmas and New Years over with all the fizz drunk and mince pies eaten I was keen to get out of the house and out birding. Staying local I visited Astley Moss NR.  
The nature reserve stunning with its shimmering blanket of white ice and snow covering the fields, haedrows and mosses. As soon as I stepped out of the car I noticed a barn owl hunting in the adjacent field. 

The bird must be struggling to find enough food, probably hindered by the ice and snow as it was out hunting in the late morning.  

As temperatures start to drop in winter, small mammals become less active which means a lot less food is available for barn owls and they need to work extra hard to find it. 
The bird flew between the fields and paddocks across both sides of Rindle Road before disappearing out of view.