10/04/203 River Calder, Ossett, West Yorkshire

Night Heron: The last day of this brilliant Bank Holiday Easter weekend and I found myself with some more free time, so after complenating my options I though I would go and have a second helping of the night herons over along the River Calder. Joined again by Kristian. 



This time I took my time, had a long lie in and some breakfast before setting off, the plan being that the light and their activity would improve as morning became afternoon. 


Today only one bird showed as the other spent most of its time roosting deep within the large overgrown hawthorn along the bank.

The bird that was on show didn't really do an awful lot as it played status again. 


Night herons are ambush predators using their ability to stand perfectly still at the water’s edge, occasionally even using lures to attract or distract fish. Unlike other herons they have the visual capacity to hunt at night, hence the name. 
The bird occasionally moved around a small area and repositioned itself closer to the waters edge to tack small fish. But on the whole it mainly stood still and did nothing. 
Night herons are down to be historically a scarce visitor to the UK and are a species that are not known to breed here.
Although back in 2017 a pair successfully bred in the UK for the first time in Somerset. The increase in conservation management, particularly of wetland areas in the UK could be the reason we may see more black capped night herons breeding here in the future.
The good light faded and was replaced by menacing rain clouds that soon brought heavy showers. Kristian and I left soaked through while the single bird refused to give me the flight views I was waiting for.