09/04/2023 Sefton Park, Liverpool

Water Rail: The Easter Bank Holiday weekend continues and before the the Easter meal at mums Dawn and I took Autumn to Sefton Park for a nice walk out and a chance to catch up with the tame water rail that has been in the park for a few months now. 



This 200 acres park is one of the most wonderful greens spaces in all of Liverpool. There is plenty of space here for mixed woodland, grassland, meandering pathways and the parks highlight its beautiful victorian Palm House. 






Besides the glass Palm House the other highlight Stefan park has to offer is a bold and very showy water rail. One that is coming out into the open to feeding in the shallow steams of Fairy Glen regardless of the dog walkers, families and other park users. 
This was my second visit hoping to see the parks star bird and after dipping it last week I was happy to hear It had been seen the day before today. However just as I arrived the bird had been showing well before skulking off back into the undergrowth just before I got there. 
I waited a short while as a small group of other interested birders turns up hoping to se it, some for the first time others their second and third. The bird eventually appeared from under the backside vegetation and walked right out into the middle of the stream and started feeding. 
The small crowed of birders congregated along the shore of the stream and within moments space was a premium here. We jostled and found our own small space and then I lost my footing and performed a two-footed tackle right in to the stream as I slipped. Soggy footed and with a muddy bum, I made my excused and left. Thank to the fella who helped me up and thanks to Pete Brash for his gen.