22/02/2023 County Durham

Hawfinch: Back again and another pre-work trip to the North East hoping to improve on my photos of the hawfinch I saw up here a few weeks back and to try my luck with the Pallas's warbler, second time lucky!

My first stop was for the Pallas's leaf warbler which was still present along the hawthorn hedge east of Willington sewage works. Then for the hawfinch at Bishop Middleham that was showing particularly well this morning. 
Let me start with the hawfinch first, my second visit to Bishop Middleham and the row of hornbeams off Fortmarts Lane. 

The bird was present as soon as I arrived, but this time there was now crowed of birders, no large group of camo-clad toggers and no sound of camera shutters firing. 


The bird remained high in the hornbeam feeding on the seeds before descending to the lower branches and the reach of my lens!



The lack of onlookers and crowds possibly encouraged the bird lower and to give much better views than I had the other week I when I saw it.
My net stop was to Newfeild and to the Pallas's leaf warbler which was still present along the hawthorn hedge east of Willington sewage works. Similar to the hawfinch this bird as also been present for several weeks.





Pallas's Leaf Warbler: I dipped the bird whenI came over a few week ago, so to nail it down and even have it calling was great.