29/07/2022 Pennington Flash, Leigh

Black Tern: Work has been mental recently with tons of breeding bird and barn owl surveys keeping me busy. Thankfully I no longer do any more bat surveys so Im more awake in the afternoons.


With my new found energy I've been able to nip out and catch up with some good local birds, often found by Colin Davies. 
Last week two black terns turned up with a dozen or so common tern, they were feeding off the boating club. Luckily a really nice fella who was working on the boats let me win to photograph them.


Black-necked Grebe: Today Colin found a nice juvenile black-naked grebe, by the time I arrived the birds was far out in the middle of the lake, viewed from the car park. 
The to resident Egyptian geese were also still present, feeding amongst the growing numbers of Canada geese feeding on the small patch of grass opposite the car park. 
Eventually the grebe came a little closer, this juvenile likely came from the nearby Woolston Eyes nature reserve, the premier place for black-ncekd grebes in the North West.