31/01/2022 Bowlees, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Durham

Red-flanked Bluetail: I've been longing to see this bird for awhile now and my schedule freed up on a bright and sunny day so I thought I would spend some time up in a beautiful part of the world and finally go see it.
These stunning little birds breed in Siberia and usually overwinter in south east Asia but a small number come to western Europe each year and are now basically annual visitors to the UK, although only in small numbers.
This individual is particularly unusual, red-flanked bluetails are typically short stayers while this bird has been in the same small wooded area since December. Not only that but I've been told that its the only red-flanked bluetail on record singing in Britain.
The bird was feeding on a steep bank beneath the beech trees when I arrived before flying up into the trees and then out of sight. Eventually I picked it up again feeding on the floor and saw it fly out over the river. 

When it came back it fed around the overhanging roots and stony edge of the errored bank and it was here it alighted upon a nearby branch within two or three feet, allowing me to get some close up shots.

I was amazed!