15/02/2022 Undisclosed Site

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker: February onwards is known to be the optimum time to search for LSW as they return to their traditional breeding sites, so with some down time I decided to go in search of these little beauties. 

When I arrived on site site I could hear the tell tale call of the male bird accompanied by the sound of drumming, in fact I witnessed both the male and female bird drumming. 

The diminutive cousin of the greater spotted woodpecker is an untypically shy bird and their numbers have crashed over recent years.  They are particularly sensitive birds and there is a site locally which as been subject to unwarranted attention with toggers persintacly tape luring and even cutting down branches to get better views of the birds. 

So I've decided to withhold the location and let these bird be. Dont hate on me.