14/03/2021 Bin Green, Dove Stone RSPB

Wood Warbler: I love wood warblers, these are attractive but unobtrusive Phylloscopus with their bright yellow upper parts, throat and upper chest and white under parts they similar to willow warbler, but with much more contrasting plumage.

 

This bird has taken up residence in the woods just below Bin Green car park at Dove Stone Reservoir, the bird wasn't in showing itself as it foraged low amongst the scrub and rowne trees before flying higher into the canopy to sing.

At times it was pretty close but only for short periods, the issue wasn't the bird but the light, shooting within the woods on a dull like like today made me push my ISO much higher than I would like resulting significantly creamier images.    




Wood warbler also have a brilliant and distinctive call that some liken to a 'spinning coin' with a repetitive, descending metallic sound.







They are spring and summer visitors, wood warblers arrive in the the UK around late April or early May, and generally depart by early September so it's a bird I don't get to see every year so when I do its always a special day. 


Definitely one of my favorite warblers.