07/02/2021 Lightshaw Flash, Abram, Wigan

Richardson's Cackling Goose: Lightshaw Flash is a place I rarely visit, perhaps it should be my local patch? It's down the road, its watched a little by some good local birders and it occasionally throws up a decent bird.  Lightshaw is off the beaten track and many of it is inescapable which is a good thing for the wildlife making its a real jewel in the crown for Wigan. 
When I arrived the bird could viewed from the screen overlooking the flash. It was associating with a large flock of Canada's and was busily feeding on the grassy bank. 
It was great to see the Richardson's side by side with its closely related relatives, the Canada geese. Giving me a good opportunity to really see the difference in body size and even shape with Richardson's showing a shorter neck and steeper, less sloping forehead and darker chest.  

Canada Goose: nice short walk to and from my home. 

Another good lockdown find by Mr. Davies.