09/10/2020 The Isles of Scilly

Swainson's Thrush: A Swainson’s thrush, classed as “mega rare” in the UK, landed on St mary's last week, having taken a wrong turn. Instead of being in jungle it found itself several thousand miles off course in a autumnal Scilly field.





Scilly's was not only playing host to this mega rare bird, but the day before Patrick and I decided to change our plans for Shetland a black a white warbler was found on Trecso. A few phone calls later and a and we had rearranged to travel down to the Scilly's instead. 

Unfortunately our luck didn't hold out as the black and white warbler didn't buck the trend and was a one day bird. Still the helicopter ride ver was pretty cool. 

Lapland Bunting: Although we missed the black and white warbler we struck lucky, very lucky incat with the Swainson's as previously while one was found on St Marys its was elusive and very few people connected with it. 
On our second day there was a report of a very showy Swainson's on Bryher. After missing the fisrt boat acreos we were on the next one and rewarded with some crippling views. of the bird. 

Patrick and I were made up, connecting with this bird reinforced pour last minute decision to change plans. 

Snow Bunting: There were a few migrants on the islands and I was pleased to find a snow bunting in the same area as the American golden plover on Tresco. 
I've been to the Scilly's a few times but this was my fisrt time I had a chance to travel to some of its other islands other than St marys. I really enjoyed getting a feel for the place from St Martins, to Tresco and getting to know them a little better. 





Red-eyed Vireo: Another bird that was responsible for our last minute change of plans was this REV, another American scarcity that I have yet to have caught up with, despite missing the Spurn bird the bay it left.   
Here again Patrick and I struick lucky. The REV was on St Martins and during its time here it had been a extremely difficult bid to pin down. The frustrating thing was after I took this image I was accused of tape lurng the bird, not a big issue in my mind, but still something that I did not do and there was no evidence from the bloke who was throwing about the accusations.  

Yellow-browed Warbler: I think he was just bitter, that he was unable to use his own field craft skills and common sense to see the bird.  

The following day there was a big fall of YBW, with reports from across the islands. We found six birds ranging from Telegraph road, Lower Moors and the area near the dump clump.    
Although there were many YBW all over the place they still proved difficult to photograph. I wanted better then these images, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. 
This was a great trip overall with two new ticks and a solid supporting cast, plenty of beers and good company.