29/06/2023 Tyne Bridge, Newcastle

Kittiwake: Surveying birds takes me all over the country and when I find myself in Newcastle in summer well, I just can't resits an outing to see the kittiwakes. 


The Tyne Bridge spans the River Tyne between the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the town of Gateshead continues to be a favourite location for Kittiwakes

Unfortunately the BALTIC viewing platform was closed as they were installing a new art installation, its here where you can get down to eye level with nesting pairs and watch them feeing their young on the ledge of the museum. 

Tom and I weren't detered and instead we made our way across the river and towards the bridge where they also nest. 

In fact they were everywhere, almost every building had a nesting pair. 

The Tyne bridge not only offers a great vista to see Newcastles city scape, the river Tyne and the architecture but a great view of kittiwakes and their chicks. 

It was disheartening to see so much anti-bird nesting nesting around some of the tallest buildings, I can see that they do make a mess but when huge companies such as Whitbread the owner of Premier Inn and the UK's biggest hotel brand. Who I'm sure pay their shareholders unimaginable amounts of money but can't be bothered or afford to clean up after a kittiwakes and instead put up dangerous netting that deter the birds from nesting on their hotel.