11/05/2023 Potters Crouch, Hertfordshire

Channel Wagtail: This week I've been working down near Hemel Hampstead carrying out a series of bird surveys when I stumbled across this little stunner. no on one of my sites but while out birding locally.




As I was working my way through a public right of way checking the field boundaries I noticed a familiar call of a yellow wagtail enervating from a field with some space rapeseed to find it was a blue handed variety of yellow wag.
Blue-headed and yellow wagtails are known to ‘hybridise’ in northern France, and the resulting intergrades are known as ‘Channel’ wagtails. These show much paler heads than blue-headed – silvery-grey, powder-blue or even approaching white. They turn up quite regularly with our yellow wagtails in the spring.
Yellow Wagtail: In the opposite filed there were several of the more standard yellow wags, they appeared to be paired up with a male sticking close to a female and change each other around while calling.