14/03/2023 Dorman Pool Nature Reserve, Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

Coues's Arctic Redpoll: The night before I am due to work over in Middlesbrough again and I see that one of the redpoll subs I need has turned up close to where I will be.

Well, I set my alarm to go off early and headed out hoping to catch up with the bird.

When I arrived the bid was picked up at first light before flying off and no further sightings, alas I missed it before the first sighting. 

A short wait in the cold and the bird was re-found and it didn't take too long for it to show well, very well.

Redpolls are notoriously one the most difficult and challenging bird groups we can come across in Britain.  There are several subspecies with tricky and subtle ID features.

There are two forms of Arctic redpolls, split in to  Hornemann's (hornimanni) and Coues’s (exsillipes). 

Smaller than a Hornemann's but bigger than a lesser, with a white rump and paler plumage makes the Arctic's stand out as bright b bigger birds nest to its smaller cousins. 


The bird was with eight lesser redpoll which were very active across the area, they were regurally feeding on the ground and low in the shrubs and even visited a small pool giving great views. 


 

Another nice little bird Middlesbrough had to offer, lets see what next weeks trip up here brings.