30/01/2023 Ingleby Barwick, Cleveland

Waxwing: This week work has taken up to Middlesbrough, part of the world I had';t really spent much time birding, sure I've twitched a few birds there but never bird area properly. 

Over the next few months I will have the opportunity to get to know the area and hopefully find something good on my travels. 

Toady before I started my survey I thought I would join the party and go to see the long staying waxwings which have been eating ether way though the barriers around and area of Ingleby Barwick called The Rings. 
When I arrived one bird was perched high in a silver birch facing the roundabout, this was pointed out a cute family on their way to school, but before I was able to take a phot the bird short off. 

I relocated all six birds off Myton Way but again they flew off almost as soon as I spotted them. 

These are great birds, the male has soft, pinkish-grey plumage with a paler rump and underparts, and a rufous patch under its tail. The black wings have yellow and white stripes, and long, bright red tips that look a little like sealing wax and which give the bird its name. The head is reddish-brown with a black face mask, and it has a short, pink upright crest.  

The female is very similar to the male but has less distinct markings, while juveniles are duller with a much shorter crest and a smaller face mask.