06/06/2021 Sleekburn, Blyth, Northumberland

Red-necked Stint: This weekend just gets better and better! 

After yesterday successful twitch to Ham Wall I was quite looking forward to a long lie in, but then news broke that of a red-necked stint in Northumberland on the River Blyth. So I set my alarm for another 2am start and off I shot for fisrt light. 

I made good time and soon had a phone call of Mrak Payne who said it was still there at 5am, I arrived at 5.15am of which the last 15 minutes was a tense and stressful ride. 


Europe has no more than 30 records of red-necked stint with the UK playing host to only seven records, now eight including this individual and before this one it had been almost eight years since the last record. 

So needless to say when the news came out yesterday evening, it got peoples blood pumping. 

Typically just after I left the bird decided to land within 10ft from a few lucky birders who drove to a more favorable viewing area on the opposite side of the river.

So these blurred smudges that I took today through the scope just don't do the bird justice, in real life it's a belter. 


Special thanks to top bloke Paul Baker for lending me his image, great work mate.