25/05/2019 Hornsea Mere, East Yorkshire

Baikal Teal: This week I brought and received my new Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and I was super keen to get out and start using it, and there is no better place then  Bempton Cliffs in East Yorkshire.
Dawn and I started the day at the RSPB reserve Bempton Cliffs but made a stop at Hornsea Mere, Yorkshire’s largest freshwater lake.

For few days a stunning drake Baikal Teal continued its journey north after spending time in Cambridge and Kilnsea.
This was a tricky bird to pin down only a few minutes before we arrived the bird flew off to a narrow bay at the back of the lake, well out of sight. We had to drive over to Wassand Hall and walk down to their hide.

After a long walk getting lost on a huge estate I eventually found the hide and was rewarded with some great view of the bird.