07/03/2013 Old Moor RSPB

Yellowhammer: I decided to head up to Old Moor RSPB Nature Reserve on my way to Denby Dale for a job interview now I can drive.


Here they have a Tree Sparrow farm which is awesome, they have erected a number of nest boxes and have a funky screening with telephoto lens holes,  and it was here I saw this brilliantly bright yellow Yellowhammer.





Redwing: The Tree Sparrow farm was full of birds such as Green Finch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch and tits I was surprised though to see this Redwing fly out of nowhere and start foraging right in front of the screening!
A nice NEW year tick for my list.









Brambling: I read on Old Moor's sightings online that they had a regular Brambling showing here too and was pleased to see this male feeding off the ground with a bunch of mixed finches.
Tree Sparrow: The star bird though has to be the sparrows, they were all over the place, many building nests and feeding in the farm.







All in all this was another great trip to this brilliant RSPB reserve and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who finds themselves on the other side of the Pennines.

See The RSPB: Dearne Valley - Old Moor website for more info

www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/d/dearne-oldmoor/