15/04/2012 Martin Mere WWT

Marsh Harrier: Great day out once again at Martin Mere with a very early start I made my way to the United Utilities Hide and after watching two male Sparrow hawks chasing each other off while I turned to see a female Marsh Harrier trying to land in a tree a few metres away from the hide the little bugga caught me of guard as I scrambled for my camera.
This shot was the best of a bad bunch, the bird never actually landed as it got mobbed by a pair of Lapwing.


I started off at the back of the reserve taking an early morning stroll down the new Reed Bed Walk way. I am glad I did, not only did I see my first Sand Martins, but I had a wonderful display from a pair of hunting Marsh Harrier from the viewing platforms.


Reed Bunting: On the Mere itself it was very quiet, the best of the birds coming from the Ron Barker Hide, where once again, I was truly treated to a pair of Marsh Harrier (possibly the same form the morning), on the far bank on the ground in some flattened reeds.




Good numbers of Ruff, Avocet, Curlew, Ring Plover and a few Swallow flying through still showing well from this hide. Definitely worth a visit for anyone planning a trip soon.

I snapped the Reed Bunting at the Janet Kear Hide.