05/07/2019 Thurstaston, Wirral

Gull-billed Tern: There are some twitcthes you simply have to work for, and after turning up 30 minutes after the bird flew off as the high tide took back the mud flats, this twitch wasn't going the way I was hoping.




I was in for a long wait before the turn turns and goes back out. Still, there is no better place to while a couple of hours away.
Eventually the bird came back and put on a good show and in the mean time I had some great company from two local Leigh lads Colin Davies and John Tymon. Two cracking birders.
The bird put on a good performance as it flew across the mud flats periodically doing a u-turn in the sky before skimming food from the surface of the ground.






After dipping the gull-billed tern at Burton Mere back in 2015 I was keen to finally add it on to my British list.






A very smart little bird indeed.

Also, nice to get my images featutred in The Daily Post.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/first-star-tern-dee-estuary-16553054?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar