10/04/2014 Holcroft Lane, Culcheth


Corn Bunting: This morning I took a trip to Holcroft Moss, a Cheshire Wildlife Trust Reserve.


But on the way I stopped off for some Corn Bunting action and I wasn't disappointed.





I pulled up just off Holcroft Lane where I came across two singing males sitting on the telephone wires next to Franks Farm.

This was my first time at Holcroft Moss and I think the site is simply stunning, its a cracking peat bog full of Sphagnum mosses and grasses (if that's your thing) this site is a SSSI and one of ongoing restoration.





If you go make sure to look out for the Hebridean Sheep that graze the land in a conservation friendly way, you can actually see where they have eaten all the young Silver Birch and Willow Trees creating a unique and natural place surrounded by the M62 and farm fields!   The highlight was seeing my first Common Lizard of the year and finding such a lovely site.